Thursday, August 19, 2010

Wednesday--Forward Progress!

There was more discussion about how the Hanging Files and the PlanIts will work and finally some forward progress!  Everyone but Morgan did math and Shelby did grammar, too.  I don't think anyone will actually get their full week's assignments done but we're getting back into a groove.

M(9) pitched a hissy fit about doing school, citing her friends' comments that going to school was a lot more fun than homeschooling.  She sat and pouted and I threatened to send her back to bed.  Finally I gave her a job she'd been begging to do--labeling all of S's hanging files.  That popped her out of her pout and then I remembered a book I'd seen (whilst looking for the missing Landmark :( ) that I knew she'd love to read.  She is enamored with The Cat in the Hat and I saw I had The Cat in the Hat Comes Back.  Sure enough, she devoured the book and then offered to write a book report if she could have a new notebook out of the box of shiny new school supplies.  Hmmmm, twist my arm....NOT!  Shore thing, honey-child!

She proceeded to write about 8 sentences about the book. Then she went on to write a story about her BFF.   Now we have some work to do on penmanship, spelling, punctuation and capitalization but it's a start.  Who cares if she doesn't want to do workbooks (well, math is non-negotiable)--she can write and rewrite.

It totally amazes me how different each child is.  My first, A, hated writing with a passion.  Any kind of writing.  She does well now (Dean's list in college last semester and an A in Writing 101) but it was a very hard road getting her there.  Now M just jumps in!  Makes me glad I'm homeschooling her and we can take that kind of detour easily.

H (7) worked a lot in his Math, continuing to polish his time-telling skills.

All in all, a better day!

ETA:  I forgot to add that I lost another book--Caddie Woodlawn.  :(  I was looking forward to reading this again and it's absent from the shelf.  I saw the library has the audio on the shelf and we may listen to it while we finish cleaning the garage this weekend.  Meanwhile, I moved on to Little Britches.   Where are my Core 4 books disappearing to????

No comments:

Post a Comment